Friday, November 5, 2010

Give This a Shot...

I have tried a couple of great recipes this week. If you check out My Food, I am going to keep it up to date on some good things for everyone to try. I will be recapping at the end of the week and hopefully it can provide everyone with some new idea's, when it comes to dinner.

On Tuesday, I gave the Sunday Chicken Dinner a shot. This was something that I have never attempted before. I had pretty much everything in the pantry. Instead of the Cajun seasoning that was recommended, I went with this Adobo Seasoning and it worked out to perfection. It added a spice to the chicken and the potatoes unlike any I have ever tried before. I did add a little bit of Garlic Powder and Red Pepper into the mixture before I rolled the chicken in it. The two hour cook time may seem a little long, but once it comes out of the over you forget about the cook time. There was more than enough to feed myself and my roommate, plus leftovers for a nice lunch the next day. Overall, I would give this meal a B+.

Wednesday, I gave Chicken Pot Pie another try. This was the second time i attempted to make this, I have to say, this is probably my favorite meal I have ever cooked. It is kind of tricky to make because you have multiple things on the stove at the same time. You have to let the veggies and chicken boil for about 15 min, while you are making the gravy to pour on top of it. No worries though, if the gravy gets done a little early, just change the heat to low and give it a stir every minute or so, until the chicken is done. I would recommend setting the pie crusts out while you are fixing everything so that they soften up, just a bit. It makes it way easier to seal the edges once you pour everything into the bottom crust. 35 minutes in the oven was perfect for my stove. If you want a little extra pop on this, before you place the top crust on, sprinkle some shredded cheese, of your choice, generously over everything (I prefer Pepper Jack). This meal gets an A+.

I was thinking about just cooking up a frozen pizza on Thursday, but decided to try my skills at a Tuna Casserole. I have done the whole Tuna Helper multiple times, but I wanted to try something a little different. I had to make a run to the store for some Egg Noodles and Cheese (again, went with Pepper Jack). To be honest, the thing that took the longest on this meal, was waiting on the water to boil. Once the noodles and peas were done and you drain the water out, I would recommend placing everything else in the pot (minus the cheese) before you return to the heat. You don't want to burn the noodles on the bottom. Stir it all together and return to the heat then place the cheese on top, wait about 45 seconds for it to melt, then give it all a good stir. It calls for 10 slices of cheese, but you could get away with going as low as 5 slices more than likely. This makes A LOT of food. I had a generous helping and there is probably enough left for 3 meals. If you are cooking for a family of four or five, this could be a perfect meal for you. Quick, Easy, and lots of food! This meal gets a B- from me, only because I used all 10 slices of cheese and it was a little too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment