Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"THE WALL"

So I hopped in the car on Friday around 11am EST and made my way West towards St. Louis. I was meeting up with some great friends and heading to see Roger Waters that evening. I made it to Effingham, IL when something was going wrong with my car. I pulled into a Chevy Dealership and described this sound my car was making. Of course the dude gets in and drives it, and the sound it gone. I ended up having a diagnostics ran on it (here is $50) and it turned out to be all good. Finally diagnosis: Somehow a rock got up into the wheel, but the rock was gone now.

I finally got into St. Louis around 5pm and we headed out to grab dinner and drinks. We ended up at a joint called Sybergs on Market. I got the Famous Chicken Strip Sandwich there and wow was is delicious. Everyone made fun of my because I got the fruit as the side, but it was nice with the sandwich. Polished it off with a nice 32oz Budweiser!! Once dinner was done we headed over to Scottrade Arena to see Mr. Waters.

Roger Waters performing The Wall was probably one of the highlights of my life. It was happy, sad, angry, scary, mind blowing, and flat weird all wrapped into one. As the first set progressed The Wall just kept getting bigger and bigger. I'm talking the entire width of the hockey arena (including the seats) and around 40-50 feet tall. The Wall then began to act as a large projection screen in which some of the coolest things of the night began to happen. The bricks appeared to move, there were pictures placed on there, there was even a fight between two very long stemmed flowers. There would be random "monsters", we will call them, that would appear out of nowhere. The teacher for Another Brick In The Wall was at least 50 feet tall and scary looking at hell.

A highlight of the show for me was "Mother". They had dug up footage from Roger singing it back in 1980 and and video of him singing it. They flashed that up on the "Wall" and he sang the song with himself from 1980. This, along with the crowd singing gave me some great goosebumps. The set ended with one single brick left to be put into place and Roger looking through it singing "Goodbye Cruel World". As the last note hit the final brick was in place.

The second set started off with a great rendition of "Hey You". The great part about the first couple of songs in the second set was that you couldn't see anything but The Wall. The band was all behind it and rocking out. Then comes "Comfortably Numb". One of my favorite Pink Floyd songs, EVER, and it was amazing to see it live. They hoisted a singer basically on top of The Wall to sing Gilmour's part and had another great guitar player at the opposite end of The Wall. This was probably the most rocked out song of the night and the crowd went insane.

Before you know it, the entire band in in front of The Wall and there is a giant pig looking thing floating around over the top of the audience. This was probably when the most intense images where being flashed on The Wall. Very dark cartoons during "The Trial", which ended with the destruction of The Wall. The band then gathered in front of a pile of rubble and belted out one last tune "Outside The Wall"

All in all it was an amazing experience that I know I probably won't be about to have again and the memories of that night will last a lifetime!

Stay tuned for the review of the Umphrey's McGee shows over Halloween weekend at the Pageant in St. Louis!




1 comment: